Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dr. Timothy´s Magic Ellixir

1/14/10
When we broke camp this morning Ty was complaining about having had another rough night of sleep, saying he "just couldn´t get comfortable." I had slept well and made a point of telling him so. I had applied Dr. Timothy´s magic ellixer the night before to my hips and shoulders. Ty had mocked me as I did so and refused the ellixer when offered. He`s not laughing anymore (read that part with a mad professor voice).
Dr. Timothy is perhaps the least likely acupuncturist you will ever meet. He grew up in North Dakota and studied to become an RN. His 1960`s experience not only opened his mind to eastern medicine, but also inspired an affinity for aloha shirts which he wears exclusively to this day.
But make no mistake about it, the Dude is excellent at acupuncture. I have hobbled in using a cane in each hand to support my upper body, stooped at 90 degrees but for a lower back that quit me. Dr. Timothy will ask me a few questions, fidget with his Sam Elliott mustache for a moment, then place dozens of needles in my person. When the last needle is placed I typically fall into a deep sleep. I have walked out of these sessions upright without the use of a cane, like someone on those televangelist shows.
But before all this, before Dr. Timothy starts placing needles, he rubs a liniment oil on the afflicted area then focuses a heat lamp on it. The oil is not really called Dr. Timothy,s Magic Ellixer. That`s just my name for it. The correct name is White Flowers, and it can be purchased at most oriental grocery stores.
I think Ty is coming around to trying the ellixer. A moment ago he commented on how it at least keeps the tent from stinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment