Friday, March 12, 2010

Brian

Lin would not have to wait until that evening to find out we were alright. Later that same day Sonia sent Lin a text with the news we were then descending from Base Camp.

But Ty and I would wait two restless days in Mendoza before learning the fate of the AAI Team. During that time I thought often about Brian. I recalled a conversation he and I had the night before leaving for the summit of Kilimanjaro.

Brian had shared with me the crooked course of his life, how he had gotten sideways with the law, spending time in prison. After that he had learned some painful lessons about debt and fallen into hard times. The right woman came into his life and together they charted his course to redemption as Brian worked three jobs, including newspaper delivery, and eventually was completely debt free. But the powerful momentum of that success then tempted him to dare for a dream he had held close for a lifetime; to climb Kilimanjaro. Brian told me how they had decided to go back into debt so he could live his dream, then he wondered aloud if it had been the right thing to do. "There ain't nothin' in this world that can't be lost or taken away from you somewhere down the road," I said, "but to know you stood on top of all of Africa... THAT is something you will have the rest of your life!"
Brian smiled timidly. "Yeah, I guess you're right," he agreed, and the look in his eyes suggested such a moment was playing out, as it no doubt had many times before, in his mind. He rolled over and drifted into a noisy slumber.

We were staying at the Mendoza Hyatt, the hotel typically used by Aconcagua expeditions. I kept thinking, hoping, we would see the AAI Team schlump into the lobby with a mountain of filthy gear. Tired and torn down, they would have summitted or not, but in any case be safely down the hill. Two days came and went with no sign of them. On the third day I checked the American Alpine Institute website and found a short dispatch entered late the night before.

Aidan called at 2:28pm Pacific Time (7:28pm Argentine time) with this dispatch:

"Hey — I've got to talk quick before we lose reception, but I just wanted to tell you that today at 2:10pm Tony, Brian, Scott, and I reached the summit of Aconcagua. The weather was beautiful — if anything, it was a little too warm. We rested at the summit enjoying the great views, and then began our descent at 2:30. We arrived back at high camp around 5:00 in a light snow squall. Everyone is feeling great. Tomorrow we'll descend to Plaza de Mulas, and the next day we should be heading out to Penitente. Okay — gotta run. Talk to you soon."


They had done it. I raced from the hotel business center up to our room to share the news with Ty. He was reclined in bed watching the Australian Open in Spanish. Roger Federer was making quick work of an opponent and though Ty had been up watching tennis since 3 a.m. no fatigue could dampen the glow that came from seeing his hero dismantle what would otherwise be worthy talent. I waited for a break in the action then told Ty the AAI Team had summitted. He was thrilled. I was thrilled. We were both relieved.

We spent the next few days touring wineries, laying by the pool, and taking in the late night carnival-like scene in the park across the street. Then, as we stood in the long line to check in for our flight to Santiago, I noticed familiar faces ahead of us. Brian looked as though he had lost about 30 pounds in course of the climb. The other team members had likewise leaned out, but all seemed well and in very high spirits. There was much exchanging of congratulations, handshakes, and slaps on the back. We were and would always be a Fraternity of sorts, a Brotherhood of the Ozone.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Dave. I am touched that you took such a rooting interest in my own attempt of Aconcagua. I lost about 20 lbs btw. It was just a week in jail and didn't act. go into debt (wiped out savings though), but the redemption-aspect is spot on and thus enhanced. I also am a Federer fan. Good luck on Summit 6 and continue to inspire. Indeed, a Brotherhood of the Ozone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brian. I hope this gets to you. I am writing an article about our Kili climb for Adventures NW Magazine. May I use your full name and if so please spell it out. What state are you from ?

      Delete