Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Japanese guy named Ken

I sat next to a man named Ken during the flight from Seattle to Dallas. He is a blond pony-tailed Caucasian who married into a rural Japanese family and now runs their rice farm outside Tokyo. I asked him many questions about the uncommon path his life had taken and what it must have been like to learn the culture and language of such a different world. I found this fascinating and he seemed to like talking about it. But this cultural comparison somehow turned to the topic of relationships and how infidelity on the part of men is accepted in Japan. Ken then spent the last hour of the flight recounting to me his many romantic conquests. If I was uncomfortable with this I was not alone. Ken has one of those voices you can hear from four rows away. Somewhere in there I noticed the people around us had stopped turning pages in the books they were reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment